1. How do I know if this is right for me?
- Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all of the decisions and emotions you are dealing with?
- Do you find yourself worrying more than you would like?
- Are you having trouble keeping a positive attitude?
- Do you find that you are not enjoying the things (and sometimes people) you used to?
- Do you sometimes question your identity and purpose?
- Does everything just feel out of control sometimes?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, this course can help.
2. What are the “tools” that I will learn?
At its core, the program is about three things:
- Teaching you new tools for taking care of yourself.
- Assessing your needs (and desires) and learning how to get those needs (and desires) met.
- Activating your personal strengths and your support system.
3. What if I’m feeling pretty good now and I don’t want to dig up all the fear and anxiety that I felt when I was first dealing with my diagnosis?
This program is not about the cancer—it’s about finding a way to live in spite of the diagnosis.
- This program is about the future and helping you create the life you want for yourself no matter what stage of recovery from your illness you are in.
- It’s about looking at the unique constellation of stressors that are impacting your quality-of-life and identifying what you need to feel better.
- Some people focus on reprioritizing how they spend their time.
- Others find themselves repairing certain relationships in their support system.
- Still others struggle with the loss they feel over not being able to do the things they used to do and reinventing themselves.
- The program helps you take stock of what is working in your life and where things could be better and gives you tools for making decisions, articulating a Self-Care Plan, communicating your needs to your support system, and utilizing resources—both inner resources and external ones—for getting your needs met.
4. What if I don’t want to hear other people’s depressing cancer stories?
We never ask you to tell your “cancer story.”
The course is designed to get participants to talk about what they need to feel better and how they can take care of themselves. The stories you will hear will be stories of inspiration.
5. What if I’m not a “group” person and feel uncomfortable sharing?
This is more like a “class” than a group. You will learn to practice the tools under the guidance of your Pillar Guide, and you will be offered the option to share around very specific questions relating to the exercises. There is a great benefit in hearing how other people gain clarity around their stressors and become empowered to get their needs met. Whether or not your share is entirely up to you.
6. What if I don’t want to show my face on camera?
You don’t have to!
7. What if I have to miss a session?
The sessions are recorded and stored for one week, and you will be able to listen to the missed session anytime during the week following the session.
8. What if a family member of friend wants to do it with me?
We encourage participants to take the course with a loved one. Please let us know if you have someone interested in taking the course with you.