Women in Philanthropy Celebrates Grant Recipients at Annual Luncheon
Tuesday, November 20 2012
The Lakeland Regional Medical Center Foundation announced the 2012 grant recipients who will receive funds from its Women in Philanthropy Giving Society – which is comprised of 250 women fulfilling their philanthropic potential by improving the quality of healthcare for women and children in our community. This year, a combined $74,999.65 was granted to purchase:
- Three vision vein viewers, innovative technology that will help caregivers find difficult-to-locate veins, such as those of infants within the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Infant car beds to provide a safe mechanism for parents to transport their premature infant home from the hospital without the risk of compromising his or her airway.
- Furnishings to upgrade the two lactation rooms in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- A Simulation Pro+ Camera System, which will reduce time and resources needed to run simulation training and will allow for an improved debriefing session. This new resource will be used with the three manikins previously purchased by Women in Philanthropy.
- Furnishings to upgrade the hospital’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit lounge – making it a more comfortable space for parents and families.
- Educational and recreational books, as well as therapeutic and recreational games, for the Adolescent Psychiatric Unit at LRMC.
The final grant was awarded to cover capital need costs related to LRMC’s Women’s Health Services expansion (this is the third year of a five year commitment).
This year, the Women in Philanthropy luncheon featured Lakeland Regional’s own president and CEO as the keynote speaker. Elaine Thompson, PhD, FACHE, shared what drives her to make bold choices in the name of bringing excellent healthcare to our community. She spoke of great women who have gone before us and challenged attendees to step out of their comfort zones to ignite change and improve the lives of others.
During the past six years, Women in Philanthropy has raised a total of $334,461.15 to support women’s and children’s services at either Lakeland Regional Medical Center or Lakeland Regional Cancer Center. Thank you to the members of Women in Philanthropy who helped make this possible – setting an example of philanthropy for generations of women to come.
If you are interested in joining the Lakeland Regional Foundation’s Women in Philanthropy Giving Society – find all the details about membership (including the leadership level) here.